Why Do I Need A Realtor® to Sell My Home?
Good Question! You probably don't need one at all if you meet all of the following criteria.
1. You are a real estate attorney who has full knowledge of the latest real estate laws & rules of your state.
2. You know with complete assurance what the comparable homes have sold for in the last 6 months.
3. You can get your home listed on all the major real estate websites and the MLS.
4. You can emotionally detach yourself from your home.
5. You can be home anytime to show your home when its convenient to potential buyers.
What? You mean to say that I have to know all that stuff to put a sign up on my lawn that says For Sale by Owner? No, but if you aren't prepared with all of the knowledge necessary you could be in for a disaster or worse yet, be taken advantage of by a buyer who does have the information you don't. Lets take a minute to break these things down and then you can decide if selling without a Realtor® is for you.
1. If you are selling without a Realtor® then you don't have a professional working for you whos duty is to represent you in all phases of the selling process. They are here to assist you through every stage of the selling process, negotiate on your behalf and bring about a sale in the fastest time possible. In return for this service, they will charge a commission but they will work hard for you to earn it. This, in most cases, will bring about a sale faster, smoother and at a higher selling price than doing so on your own.
2. Your Realtor® will provide you with a comprehensive current Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) showing what the homes comparable to yours have sold for in the past 6-12 months. By doing this they will be providing you with a professional opinion of what price your home will sell for. You may not always like or agree with the price they arrive at with the CMA but this is what your Realtor® does for a living everyday. They are trained, licensed professionals.
3. Your Realtor® is a professional and is part of the NAR (National Association of Realtors). Not all real estate agents are Realtors®. What difference does it make if they are a Realtor® or not? It all comes down to professionalism, training and dedication. You should always insist on a full-time local professional. Why? If you are working with a part-time real estate agent who has another full or part-time job they will not be giving your home the time it deserves. Beyond that, they have full access to the Multiple Listing Service, all the online internet real estate websites and many times are listing your home in local publications.
4. Your Realtor® is not emotionally attached to your home. While they are going to dedicate themselves to you and present your home to its full advantage, it is not an emotional situation for them. They will explain the best way to present your home to potential buyers, help you stage your home for the most effective presentation, etc… This can be difficult for you as a homeowner as it is very personal, designed by you for you and sometimes that is a big turn-off for potential buyers.
5. Your Realtor® is your life-line when it comes to showing your home. It is unlikely that you are able to take time off work to be available to show your home when its convenient to the potential buyer. You've hired a real estate professional who is able to make the arrangements to show your home. They will put a lock-box on your home (unless you request in writing otherwise) so other licensed Realtors® can bring clients to showings, make arrangements with inspectors & appraisers, when necessary, for access and represent you anytime there is a showing scheduled. They work for you.
Do you need a Realtor®? Only you can decide that for sure. I would highly recommend it as we are the professionals who have the training, knowledge and commitment to assist you in a successful home sale. Yes, we do ask you to pay a small percentage as a commission for the work we do. We are licensed professionals and we will work hard so you don't have to!
For more information on this topic or any other real estate related questions, please contact me by phone, email or through this website. If you are looking to buy or sell in the Lewis or Thurston County area of Washington I'd appreciate your considering me to be your Realtor® of choice.
Dear Mr/Mrs Seller,
I’m here to help you sell your home!
With that being said we need to look at the playing field and pull in all the best players so at the end of the game you can enjoy the win. We also need to discuss some rules for all the players involved so that it creates the best possible outcome. As with any game, be it baseball, bowling or tic-tac-toe there is going to be a ‘sweet-spot’ that brings about the best scenario for everyone. We need to find just where that ‘sweet-spot’ is. Lets get started with some basic rules of the game.
1. You want to sell your home.
2. I want to sell your home.
3. I’m going to provide you a Market Analysis of comparable sold homes in your area in order to hit the target price ‘sweet-spot’. This may not be the price you want to hear but it is the most updated way to know what you can expect your home to sell for. Once I have provided this for you we can discuss where we will price your home on the market.
4. I’m going to explain how I will market your home for you to bring about the desired sale.
5. Your job is to actively listen to what I’m showing you and ask questions if you have them. I want you to be as fully informed throughout the entire process as possible.
6. There is no way for me to guarantee how long it will take to sell your home. My duty is to present you with a plan to bring about a sale in the shortest time we can.
7. Your job is to make the home ready and accessible for showings in the best presentable condition possible. Making your home as ‘generic’ as you can will bring about the fastest offer. Potential buyers don’t care about your hunting trophy, your children’s accomplishments or the latest ribbon you won at the county fair.
8. I will place a sign, flyer box and MLS Keybox on your home so other real estate professionals can bring their potential buyers to see it.
9. Your job is to have the home ready and to be out of the home during the showing. Potential buyers want to look at and discuss the things the like or dislike about your home with their agent while viewing. They would rather not have you eavesdropping on their conversation. Take a walk, go shopping, or visit the neighbor.
10. Lastly, you need to be reasonable and accept advice. This is what I do every day. I’m continually educating myself on the current market conditions. My job is to advise you, guide you and bring about the sale of your home in the most expedient matter. Your job is to listen with an open mind.
Its Game Time! If you are ready to play by the rules, ready to listen to my advice, ready to get your head in the game then lets get started. You need to decide if you want your home ‘on the market’ or sold. My job is to get it sold. Any real estate agent can put it ‘on the market’. If you just want it listed then I’m not the Realtor for you! I’d much rather be your second or third Realtor when the others can’t accomplish what I’ve already explained to you.
For more advice on buying or selling a home, to set up an appointment or any other Real Estate information, please call or email me.