Why Do I Need A Realtor® to Sell My Home?
Good Question! You probably don't need one at all if you meet all of the following criteria.
1. You are a real estate attorney who has full knowledge of the latest real estate laws & rules of your state.
2. You know with complete assurance what the comparable homes have sold for in the last 6 months.
3. You can get your home listed on all the major real estate websites and the MLS.
4. You can emotionally detach yourself from your home.
5. You can be home anytime to show your home when its convenient to potential buyers.
What? You mean to say that I have to know all that stuff to put a sign up on my lawn that says For Sale by Owner? No, but if you aren't prepared with all of the knowledge necessary you could be in for a disaster or worse yet, be taken advantage of by a buyer who does have the information you don't. Lets take a minute to break these things down and then you can decide if selling without a Realtor® is for you.
1. If you are selling without a Realtor® then you don't have a professional working for you whos duty is to represent you in all phases of the selling process. They are here to assist you through every stage of the selling process, negotiate on your behalf and bring about a sale in the fastest time possible. In return for this service, they will charge a commission but they will work hard for you to earn it. This, in most cases, will bring about a sale faster, smoother and at a higher selling price than doing so on your own.
2. Your Realtor® will provide you with a comprehensive current Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) showing what the homes comparable to yours have sold for in the past 6-12 months. By doing this they will be providing you with a professional opinion of what price your home will sell for. You may not always like or agree with the price they arrive at with the CMA but this is what your Realtor® does for a living everyday. They are trained, licensed professionals.
3. Your Realtor® is a professional and is part of the NAR (National Association of Realtors). Not all real estate agents are Realtors®. What difference does it make if they are a Realtor® or not? It all comes down to professionalism, training and dedication. You should always insist on a full-time local professional. Why? If you are working with a part-time real estate agent who has another full or part-time job they will not be giving your home the time it deserves. Beyond that, they have full access to the Multiple Listing Service, all the online internet real estate websites and many times are listing your home in local publications.
4. Your Realtor® is not emotionally attached to your home. While they are going to dedicate themselves to you and present your home to its full advantage, it is not an emotional situation for them. They will explain the best way to present your home to potential buyers, help you stage your home for the most effective presentation, etc… This can be difficult for you as a homeowner as it is very personal, designed by you for you and sometimes that is a big turn-off for potential buyers.
5. Your Realtor® is your life-line when it comes to showing your home. It is unlikely that you are able to take time off work to be available to show your home when its convenient to the potential buyer. You've hired a real estate professional who is able to make the arrangements to show your home. They will put a lock-box on your home (unless you request in writing otherwise) so other licensed Realtors® can bring clients to showings, make arrangements with inspectors & appraisers, when necessary, for access and represent you anytime there is a showing scheduled. They work for you.
Do you need a Realtor®? Only you can decide that for sure. I would highly recommend it as we are the professionals who have the training, knowledge and commitment to assist you in a successful home sale. Yes, we do ask you to pay a small percentage as a commission for the work we do. We are licensed professionals and we will work hard so you don't have to!
For more information on this topic or any other real estate related questions, please contact me by phone, email or through this website. If you are looking to buy or sell in the Lewis or Thurston County area of Washington I'd appreciate your considering me to be your Realtor® of choice.